1. The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)’s Transit Data is now publicly available and allows the general public access to a wide array of transit information including, but not limited to (a) bus/train locations; (b) bus routes; (c) bus schedules; (d) bus stops; (e) Metrorail Lines; (f) Rail Elevator/Escalator Incidents; (g) Train Arrivals; Rail Incidents, etc. WMATA makes its Transit Data available to users via an Application Programming Interface (API) that allows the user/developer to receive the transit data and use it in the user’s own application provided that the user maintains compatibility with WMATA’s API, as updated from time to time. WMATA maintains title, ownership, rights and interest in and to the Transit Data. To obtain WMATA’s Transit Data, the user/developer must enter into this License Agreement, which grants you (Licensee) non-exclusive, limited and revocable rights to download, use, reproduce, and redistribute WMATA’s Transit Data, subject to the following Terms:
2. Licensee must create a developer account with WMATA. The Licensee is limited to one account per email address, and will be issued one or more unique security keys, passwords, etc., (hereinafter referred to as “Keys”) for accessing WMATA’s API and managing the account.
3. Licensee is responsible for maintaining the secrecy and security of Licensee’s Keys.
4. Licensee is responsible for maintaining compatibility with WMATA’s API, as updated from time to time, in order to continue to receive WMATA’s Transit Data.
6. PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES/CONDUCT: Licensee/User and/or its end users or agents shall not use the API or Transit Data in the following ways:
a) To interfere with or disrupt WMATA services or servers.
b) To circumvent or modify any Keys or security mechanisms employed by WMATA or the API, including without limitation any authentication technologies.
c) To request, collect, solicit or otherwise obtain access to sign-in names, passwords or other authentication credentials for WMATA other than what is provided to Licensee/User for its own account.
d) To impersonate or obtain access to WMATA’s Transit Data or other WMATA services without authorization.
e) To create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses.
f) To enable any other person to personally identify any user of Licensee’s Application that uses WMATA’s Transit Data without the user’s express consent.
g) To state or imply affiliation, sponsorship or endorsement of Licensee’s Application or other product or service by WMATA.
h) To state or imply that Licensee’s owns or has created the Transit Data supplied by WMATA.
i) To promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities or promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual.
j) To defame, abuse, stalk, harass, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as the right to privacy) of others.
k) To upload, post, email or transmit or otherwise make available with, in or in connection with Licensee’s Application, any infringing, obscene or unlawful content.
l) To upload, post, email or transmit or otherwise make available with, in or in connection with Licensee’s Application, any content that infringes any patent, trademark, service mark, copyright, trade secret or any other intellectual property or proprietary right of any party, unless Licensee is the owner of the content or has the permission of the owner to post such content.
m) To transmit any viruses, worms defects, Trojan horses, or any items of a destructive nature.
7. WMATA trademarks and copyrighted materials (hereinafter, “Intellectual Property”), including any confusingly similar variants, may not be used in association with the Transit Data unless Licensee has entered into a separate, written License Agreement with WMATA for use of such intellectual property.
8. The Data is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. WMATA makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied. WMATA disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. WMATA and its employees, officers, directors and agents will not be liable for damages of any kind arising from the use of the Transit Data including but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.
9. WMATA reserves the right to alter and/or no longer provide the Transit Data, either temporarily or permanently, at any time without prior notice. For avoidance of doubt, nothing herein obligates WMTA to make its API or Transit Data available to you, and Licensee agrees and acknowledges that any access to is within the sole and absolute discretion of WMATA.
10. Severability and Waiver: The invalidity of any term or provision of these Terms will not affect the validity of any other provision. Waiver by WMATA of strict performances of any provision of these Terms will not be a waiver of or prejudice WMATA's right to require strict performance of the same provision in the future or of any other provision of these Terms.
11. License Fee: WMATA does not currently charge a license fee to download the Transit Data.
12. WMATA reserves the right to terminate a user if WMATA determines, in its sole discretion, that the user is engaged in unauthorized use of the API or Transit Data as outlined in this Agreement or that the user is using WMATA’s API or Transit Data in any activity that threatens/compromises the safety and/or security of the Metrorail/bus system or WMATA’s networks.
13. Sovereign Immunity: Licensee acknowledges that WMATA is an interstate compact agency of the District of Columbia, the State of Maryland and the Commonwealth of Virginia; that WMATA has sovereign immunity; and that by entering into this License Agreement, WMATA does not waive such sovereign immunity. Licensee understands and agrees that Licensee may not assert for its own benefit, or attempt to assert any immunity from claims available to WMATA under the WMATA Compact.
14. Applicable Law: The laws of the District of Columbia shall govern all rights and obligations under this Agreement, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of laws, unless such laws conflict with the WMATA Compact, in which case the WMATA Compact shall govern.
15. Entire Agreement: This Agreement constitutes the complete and exclusive agreement between WMATA and Licensee with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior oral or written understandings, communications, or agreements not specifically incorporated herein. WMATA reserves the right to modify or revoke this agreement at any time.